Thursday, December 21, 2006

Of Dogs and Christmas

Maybe I am just plain dumb, may be it is cultural ignorance, or perhaps a proportionate combination of both. I am incredulous that people will go to any lengths to please their pets. Seriously , do you think a dog merits special gifts to commemorate the birth of Jesus? I was thoroughly amused to receive an e-mail from my buddy, who was asked for advise by a mzungu:

"now x-mas is almost here,, need to get a present for my dog,, its really stressing me out,, i dont know whether to get him lil booties,[or] a coat,, or this really cute diamante leash,, or a china dish,, or what,,mmhmm dilemna dilemna,, u got any ideas?"

I am not suggesting that they should instead donate that money for charity in Africa or whatever, merely questioning the notion that a mere mongrel can usurp the position of upright walking homo sapiens as a companion.

Would I be overreacting if I suggested that this borders towards abhorrent?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of this place where i worked with some Brits. On my first day at work, one lady walks in late looking like somebody close to her died the night before. The other staff (all Brits) sorrround her with mournful looks and they are all hashing...'how was she last night...' all looking very forlon. When i finally find guts to ask i am told the dog is admitted at the vet's clinic with a serious infection. In my head i am thinking 'daah!'.Shortly, the vet phones to say the dog is responding fine. For me it was pure agony having to listen to all that. Worst of all i had to act 'concerned' every morning when the lady walked, ..'how is she doing' and more agony to have to listen to how the fever has gone up... Oh my!

2:45 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

hey, my Mom bought some christmas pet costumes for my pets! chekc thme out. I don't know whether my dogs n cats will like it or not!!

merry xmas.

7:54 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Even the good lord himself would be astonished at how much the world has changed since he left. people are loving animals more than their fellow beings, hasten sweet jesus, hasten..

9:19 AM  
Blogger 3N said...

How does a sane person sit down and dress a dog? It's just disgusting, I don't know where society is heading!

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home