Monday, January 22, 2007

Open Letter to God...

“God please, please, please help Man United to beat Arsenal …”

But you ignored my prayers yesterday morning. In fact, I think you’ll forgive me for being very disappointed in you. My laundry list of complaints:

1. I started praying at about 9 AM EST. That was a whole 2 hours before kick-off. Surely that was ample time for my prayers to traverse the ethers and reach you in time.
2. Did you realize I made my way to the bar – despite nursing a monstrous hangover – as a demonstration of my faith in the result? I could have watched the game from home, but wanted to celebrate with my fellow United supporters, and rejoice in the anguish of Ass.ernal fans. Instead you gave me hope for 80 minutes, and then allow Ass.ernal to score 2 late goals like that. Why did you instruct that “Faith without action is dead” if you don’t reward action?
3. Were you punishing me for over-indulgence in certain contaminated beverages the previous two nights? I am pretty sure the Ass.ernal fans were not sleeping at home on Saturday night waiting for the game on Sunday. Granted, my cocktails might have been more poisonous but still, I am pretty sure I composed a coherent prayer on Sunday morning for the game …
4. As if my anguish was not enough, you had to wait until I walked out of the pub after the game to make the snow start falling. Do you realize how much this compounded my journey back home?


I realize that I might be overreacting in this instance; after all, we are still six points ahead. May be you are really a MAN U. fan and want to give those guys a lil’ hope… you know, give them a “so close, yet so far” moment. If this be your plan, way to go …


I am willing to make peace with you on condition that our current 6-point lead shall not be dented any further. If I discover, in the course of this season that you are an Arsenal fan, I swear to you that that’s it between you and me.


But you are neutral in sports, right? You don’t support any team do you? You enjoy the games without a vested interest, right? What if Jesus or one of the arch-angels secretly supports a team and wants to influence the result? I think you should look into that because yesterday’s result smacks of divine interference. That needs to stop, seriously.

Please, please God, don be mad @ me. I am just being sincere.


Ps: If that Colts win over the Patriots was your doing, I am willing to forget what happened earlier on with Man United…just as long it doesn’t become a pattern. Deal?

Cheers,

Your servant jm.

10 Comments:

Blogger modoathii said...

dude, this is hiarious. but i ask the age-old question, if a man-useless fan prays for a win (ass you did) and an arse-n-all fan does the same, who would God grant a victory? lakini mi naona, mliomba, mkasaidiwa, mkaongea mbaya (like the idiots we were drinking with) and you were punished for laughing at the less fortunate. humble thyselves. haha!

LIVERPOOL! Shell-see saw exactly that.

7:20 AM  
Blogger jm said...

modoathii: you shall walk alone come May - as you always do ...

7:57 AM  
Blogger 3N said...

It is well documented that God is a chelsea fan.
If not why would he let Man-Useless enjoy a 6 point lead and give hope to the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool while knowing very well Chelsea will repeat again?
God is also a Colts fan as seen last sunday.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Kabinti said...

maybe the other fans began praying at 8am EST?

12:52 PM  
Blogger jm said...

@ Kabinti: if dats true, how come Arsenal didn't score first :)

1:00 PM  
Blogger eddiie said...

Arsenal, should watch out next season because.....they have alot to answer...how could they do that...are they happy for chelsea to take a 3rd straght trophy?>>>>>>>>>>>>>

6:12 AM  
Blogger jm said...

Eddie: United will still win it this season.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

SHINDWE!!Pepo nyeusi!!...
You know there are some teams(ManU), (Liverpool) that ata msee mmoja wa Arsenal akakua anacheza na nyinyi wote, bado mtashindwa tu.. :D
You know God has a good way of showing that the last shall be the first and the first last...wenye wa katikati (lukewarm) kama akina Chelsea na Liverpool, wanapotelea in thin air... By the way what happened to ManU in Carlin'cup?? Siwaoni??!!LOL..:D
Kama tuliweza Bolton....pia tutawaweza 14th..Si niwanoma bana...tunawathrush home n away...
@ 3N Chelsea ilitokea tu majuzi na mimi usemaif youare a chelsea fun, then you are no football fun ama you're too young to have watched older football and known its quality... How come FA mlithrushiwa na Liverpool??

Wacha niachie apa coz itakaa kama napost blog ingine apa...

6:40 AM  
Blogger jm said...

@ Sue ... 4 some reason i thought u were a man u fan, heck, nakuonea huruma saaanaaa coz najua machozi yatatiririka come May, kwa sababu United tutashinda league, FA na champions!! Wee achana na storo za Carling, thats a recreational tournament and we only play serious tournaments ...

9:47 AM  
Blogger 3N said...

@Sue, I am neither young nor old just there...anyway yes I am a recently converted football fan hence my alliance with Chelsea.
I did watch football made in Germany back in primo but truth be told I was rooting for whichever team had more black players.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home