Monday, April 23, 2007

BYOM – BRING YOUR OWN MEAT!!

Last Sato, I was up early. It was a splendid spring day. But I was famished. A barbeque with some jungus was in the offing that afternoon and I spent the best part of the morning drooling, trying to divert my mind from the impending feast, but was occasionally distracted from my task by the incessant Ashanti drummers who were perched in my stomach. I was in for a kidogo shock …

One lesson to keep in mind when you barbeque with jungus: BYOM (Bring your own Meat). When Kenyans gather for a barbeque, there are two constants: pints and meat; real meat. The grill looks awesome, resplendent with prime rib, a hypnotizing aroma of barbeque sauce … a hungry pack of wananchi, patiently watching the grill, smelling the air, readying their tumbos with a fortifying therapy of their favourite brew. Not with jungus. I washed down the first hot dog with a cool brew to calm the minyoos, and then I settled down to wait for the meat. Lakini wapi?? The hot dogs kept coming, punctuated intermittently by cheeseburgers. Then more hot dogs, and more hot dogs. Wooi, BYOM ndugu zangu …

Another key lesson is: For the duration of the barbeque, you love dogs – seriously. I mean, Kenyans are well aware that mere mongrels do not merit the use of personal pronouns. The use of “he” and “she” is strictly reserved for people. In addition, for us Kenyans, dog fur/saliva do not really go well with meat … or hot dogs for that matter. Not with jungus. We were greeted by Leo and Toughy; the latter possessing a truly ironic name. “She” is partly a kiwete; the front right leg is inside-out. When she walks, “her” gait is akin to a model, I mean, assuming jungus hold mongrel pageants … you get the picture I hope … But Toughy makes up for “her” short-comings with the courage of a lion. “She” is a tiny, tiny dog. Pint sized, smaller than some cats I’ve seen. But she dared challenge a big dog, like the ones in Kenya. It was a spectacle that left Toughy bleeding from the ears and neck, and the owner red-faced. But seriously, fungia vijibwa!!

Finally, be prepared for “weird” questions; especially from old jungu mamas who seemingly have no historical or geographical perspective.


Is it hot in Kenya? (Translates to “Is that why you are so black”)
Do you live close to modern Kenya? (Translates to “Do people still live in the bushes”)
Do you live close to the Maasai? (Translates to “Do you still have “exotic” tribes”)
Do they still hunt? (Wtf! When were they last hunting?)


Luckily I have been around long enough to take such questions with a ka-grain of salt. I am more entertained than irritated by such displays of cultural ignorance. And no, it’s not my fault that they were not “about Africa” in school. As such, it is impossible for me to accept such an apologist mentality. But I’d gladly accommodate these niggling idiosyncrasies if only they wekad some REAL MEAT on that expensive grill.

19 Comments:

Blogger Archer said...

FIRST!

6:31 PM  
Blogger egm said...

Pole ndugu for that nyama debacle. Me, I am just pysching for some serious mbuzi choma (sans pint) this coming weekend. I'll be sure to remember you!

On the front of folks asking crazy questions, I was rather impressed by this lady I met at an event last week who asked me flat out to give her a brief history of Kenya from the 1850s to modern times. I definitely never saw that coming. But it was refreshing that someone would actually ask this instead of the usual do you swing from vines type of questions.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pole sana for the lack of manyake. Yes once in a while you will always meet some jungu who will shock you with the clarity of their questions.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Aizoh said...

Ha! Ati mongrel pageants.Ati leg inside out.Mwas you are sick.Haiya you must be missing nyamchom videadly. Just last night we had this juicy piece of roast mbuzi.Mbavu. Ilikuwa inamwaga maji ikikatwakatwa.......

2:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pole Ndugu for missing out on the proper Nyam Chom way. I always like teasing Jungus that here in Africa we Kill, Slaughter and Cook our own Meat that always seems to shock them, kwani they think that meat is manufactured in a factory.

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mwangi nikii si hot dog is nyama and burgers ...
But I hear you kabisa

8:10 AM  
Blogger 3N said...

Any man who fires up a grill without the intention of chomaing some real nyama should be in prison!

And about those stupid ass questions from jungus – you have to learn to be polite and ignore them.

Or mess them up and tell them stuff like…you used to have domesticate lions, goats, kangaroos, polar bears, chimpanzees…etc right in your backyard.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Klara said...

Hey! Someone's missin nyamchom!
The questions these guys ask?? Guys can be Ingorant attimes!

11:00 AM  
Blogger jm said...

@ Archer: kongrats :)

@ egm: sans pints ... hmm ... i almost forgot u r celibate :)

@ Aco: nice sarcasm ...

@ Aizoh: am drooling @ that lakini summer is almost nigh, we'll wakilisha kivyetu ...

@Kirima: inaitwa ignorance manze ...

@ Farmgal: acha mchezo ...

@ 3N: MMM ... I agree on teh prison thingy, lakini why should I ignore ignorant people, isn't better 2 let them know the truth, to set them free?

11:06 AM  
Blogger Chatterly said...

hehehe that is why i stay away from barbeque za wazungu - you will eat anything from hotdogs to grilled veggies - eish please, kama munanialika barbeque muwe na nyama tayari :-)

3:52 PM  
Blogger mama shady said...

how can they barbeque goats when they have feelings!no way!they would never.;)...nothing like a kenyan barbecue!as for toughy...woi!aish, yes, people do remain ignorant,it amazing...they have no excuse.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Komi said...

Last I checked we were avoiding the wrath of grapes then you go and get all these reasons to drown yourself!

4:35 AM  
Blogger Unyc said...

Let the hotdogs keep on coming!!

The West shld be forced 2 learn about Africa like we are forced 2 learn about them. They should hv AFR 111 to AFR 412 aki...

5:57 AM  
Blogger jm said...

@ Chatterly: soo right ...

@ Mama Shady: lol @ "barbeque goats when they have feelings ..." hadn't thought of it like that ...

@ Komi: I said I was calming the minyoo, now where did you come up with drowning? Hmmm ... u disappoint me :)

@Unyc: hmm, i wonder if that's as cheeky as I think it is ...

8:14 AM  
Blogger Komi said...

And I said reasons ha. My sister's boss knows I have a lion pet.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Unyc said...

take ur mind off the gutter

5:44 PM  
Blogger jm said...

@ Komi ... hmmm ... i guess u meant excuses?? :)

@ Unyc: Nice comeback, you got me ...

6:08 PM  
Blogger Princess said...

Hot dogs and burgers are sooo not my idea of a bbq!!

As for the ignorant questions, I always educate people because I cannot tolerate ignorance..for every question they get a lengthy, detailed answer so they can spread the word and stop being ignorant!!

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha...in the western world its bring your own everything! I wouldn't be shocked if I was asked to bring my own chair...all in our stride. As for the stuuuupid questions, it irked me till I get amused now more than anything...my all time favorite..."how come your english is so good"....!!!??

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home