Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Of African Women and Hairy Issues ...

Having priory declared my penchant for “vegetation-free” mamas, I guess one could be forgiven for thinking am about to revisit the issue. Pole. Get your mind off the gutters. I am talking about the other hair – the one I shave with no qualms …

I had an exchange with a Kenyan mama yesterday about this easy-to-shave hair. Her attitude was captured succinctly in the following paragraph:

“My hair - my curly, funky, half permed-half natural, short, thin and brown* hair is an extension of my personality, cultural background and most importantly my heritage. It dawns on me that the decisions I make on hairstyles are a reflection of my bondage and freedom even though more often than not it is beyond my control. “How can I remain captive when I have this knowledge? How can you remain captive when you have this knowledge? Is freedom coming tomorrow? I think not, it has been here with us all this while but we have chosen not to take it. Let us allow uhuru to prevail in our lives and let it show by how we chose to wear our hair!”


I think it is better to speak my mind than to boot-lick and wag my tail for mamas. I risk incurring the wrath of some feminists, “defenders-of-the-African hair”, et cetera. As long as we debate each other on the merits of the argument, I will embrace their caning …

My opinion is brutal, but is also honest:

Get over it!!

To politicize an issue as trivial as "that hair" is not only escapist, but also a tad hypocritical. If a mama wants to resist, to really resist the neo-colonial impulses, I hereby prescribe Mwangi’s modus operandi. Please note that it is not exhaustive by any means and is merely proposed as a guide, which the user should feel free to ameliorate...


  1. Usinyoe kule kuleIf you want to roll ancestral, there is no greater, demonstrable proof than a canopy downtown. You will have to look for a Dinka man though. Kenyan men have moved on … And please usiwai ingia Victoria Secret – unless you work there …
  2. Kifua kavuSubject them to gravitational force, whether they sag or are non-existent. That is how we rolled back then. The bar is set high on this resistance movement …
  3. Sabuni + Lotion = Kwaheri : If these commodities exist in the house, it is because ur jamaa is sooo disgusted by your adherence to protocol # 1 above that he employs them after you leave the house …
  4. Perfume: Tia zii mami. “Free your pheromones” is the new mantra. It might actually mitigate for the effects of protocol # 1 above …
  5. Rudi Kenya!!



    CONCLUSION:

These are actually not trivial pointers. The message I am putting across is:

You cannot pick your poison. You cannot denigrate women who are conscious about their hair, who want to make it look “good” by whatever means – by accusing them of being encumbered in a “neo-colonial” mindset.

And Jesus said:

“Let he who has no sin cast the first stone …” [somewhere new testament]

Such castigation is, for a lack of better term, academic thuggery!! It is more sentimental than rational, and probably precipitated and catalyzed by Afro academic circles eager to ooze metaplasma on a polarizing topic. This inevitability of a clash of civilizations is upon us: on one hand, the political clash endows us with liberty - liberty to resist complete assimilation, liberty to embrace our nostalgia for a past long gone ... but alas, it is such an irony... on the other hand, a slow, tightening, inexorable wind of change that started when Shaka Zulu was presented a mirror by the mzungu [okay, I kid, I kid]. Its ultimate goal is convergence; it is unyielding, unaffected by prayers, unaffected by pockets of resistance and all-consuming - affecting all facets of our lives; political, monetary, cultural values, religious disposition, language, attitudes, et cetera ...

Maybe it is the destiny of mankind - to be one - and whereas resistance is admirable, I fear it might only be temporary and meaningless over generations to come. Look at how African languages are being lost. You say you want to resist, yet you can’t even speak your mother-tongue!! Yet your capitalism-induced thirst for materials is insatiable. You cannot pick your poison. If you choose to keep your hair unadulterated, please don’t use profound justifications – they don’t make sense. Liberty, my dears, with its attendant choice sets. It really is that simple …it is our greatest neo-colonial gift!!

I stand to be corrected

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger CiikuMrsBabes said...

U know... I was just telling some folks this stuff....

Many people have resorted to believing that because they keep their hair nappy and having dreadlocks.. they are in some sort of "movement" in which us, of the "perm" and the "wig wearing", are not allowed to be a part of. Its like we are brainwashed ama I dont know..... americanized [for lack of a better word].

Hogwash is all I say......!!!!

I AM NOT MY HAIR!

Nuff said!

11:50 AM  
Blogger egm said...

Couldn't agree more! Why put too much into something as trivial as hair? Over-politicizing, romanticizing and all other ..cizing of things just makes for a dumb state of affairs.

12:26 PM  
Blogger 3N said...

I agree with egm and movie buff. A hair style is exactly that, a hair style.

If you do the fro’, go ahead and do it, just don’t look down on those who don’t as having betrayed the ‘movement’.

12:28 PM  
Blogger jm said...

@ Movie Buff: Kweli kabisa, hiyo movement ni illusion ...

@ egm: my point xactly, can't agree more ...

@ 3N: Am pleasantly surprised to be 3 for 3 in terms of peeps who agree with me!!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Farmgal said...

Since I wear my hair the african and the jungu way...I will stay on ur side of the debate.
Hizo ni politics ati am not free ..excuse me am sooooo free with or without the kinky hair..

1:19 PM  
Blogger mama shady said...

ai mwangi!this chic has surely got you miffed.but its all about being real!these are trivial matters!of all things you skip fear, pride, crime, myopia etc and jump sraight to hair and link it to bondage!..but you never know, this chics words/actions may be stemming from some deeep joint we cant comprehend.but my best line ..'let us allow uhuru to prevail in our lives'it cracks me up..i think this will be sentence of the week, i must go tell someone.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bible verse is John 8:7:

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bible verse is John 8:7:

2:55 PM  
Blogger jm said...

@ Farm gal: my side is where it's @ :) feelanga free ...

@ mama shady: was confused w/logic behind argument ... "uhuru to prevail ..." juss shows they feel very strongly about the "movement" so aptly described by Movie buff

@ Bomseh: Ahsante ...

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the one on I am not my hair... So true..

7:36 PM  
Blogger gishungwa said...

Its only hair.Just be neat and clean and presentable the rest is details.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Komi said...

I envy those who can maintain kinky...combing my PERMED hair is a ceremony! As for freedom and slavery, garbage.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with you on this one. You hair is just your hair and is a representation of you and you alone. I like all types of hair Kinky, bald, permed, weaved, braided, locks etc. as long as it is neat and compliments the total package and looks good all the other talk of neocolonialism is just hogwash!
ManU still rocking but nimekaza backside still!

8:07 AM  
Blogger jm said...

@ dkwin: top marks ...

@ gishungwa: now if all mamas would listen 2 u :)

@ Komi: glad u r finally back on my side :)

@Kirima: key words: "total package complemented" ...succint ... United rocks man!! Chelsea blew their league chances @ Newcastle, don think we'll drop another point b4 we meet them ... nd I fancy our chances in a final against anyone, given current form - even the mighty Brazilians!!

8:17 AM  
Blogger phassie said...

I will reiterate movie buff's words

I'm not my hair.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Chatterly said...

Si ni nywele tu jamani?! if you are happy with your hairstyle sawa. some watuz bwane LOL!

4:52 AM  
Blogger jm said...

@ chatterly: in synch kabisa ...

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I will ever be your company for "coffee" I shall steer away from the "movement" talk on why I prefer my nappilicious hairdo vs "permed = save money for my money market account .LOL

Anon @faraggut north:-)))))

11:31 PM  
Blogger jm said...

@ Anon: I get the hint ... I swear I do :) And yes, you will ... promise!!

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home